Monday, November 7, 2011

We survived a 6 hour bus ride

We woke up to a rainy Ho Chi Minh City with roosters "singing" this morning.  J and I quickly got ready and boarded our bus in route to Phnom Pehn.  I thought the 6 hour journey would be horrendous, but surprisingly the bus was extremely comfortable.

Some of the highlights of the bus ride:
1.  Seeing the countryside between Vietnam and Cambodia's capital
2.  It's the end of the rainy season and a lot of the land is flooded (or swamplands looked wetter).  The floods actually looked gorgeous.  I'm sure the locals don't feel the same way...but cows and buffaloes were bathing in the water and workers were still working in the fields.
3.  Our bus (and other buses) were transported about 10 minutes on a boat across a river...everyone was still on the buses, is that even legal in the US??
4.  Our bus stopped at a roadside restaurant right after we passed the Cambodian border and I had the best sticky rice with basil! 

Highlights after arriving in Phnom Pehn:
1.  We took our first ride in a tuk tuk (similar to rikshas in India)...it was fun!
2.  Long walk along the riverfront.
3.  Walked to the Royal Palace and Wat Phnom (a bit scary to go to at night)
4.  Praying in a Wat (Temple) and interacting with a monk...so peaceful.

Tomorrow we are off to see the Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng Museum, I'm sure it won't be a cheerful morning.  We're also hoping to get into the Royal Palace so we can see the Ramayana mural...apparently the whole story is depicted around a building.   There's also supposed to be a gold Buddha adorned in diamonds there!

2 comments:

  1. Neelam this was the best idea you had for the blog...once yu return, you will be jetlagged, busy and I would miss out on all this info. glad the rainy season is passing, over 500 died in thailand :-(.... people r still w/o power here in parts of Connecticut...I had oral surgery over the weekend and I am feeling good..i gave the link to Melanie...beautiful today in the 60's...... ook forward to your next blog...Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing Barbara! I'm glad your surgery went well and I can't believe people are still without power. We saw the Thailand rain on the news, it's crazy! We just had a massive downpour, but it only lasted about 30 minutes. I hope this trend continues and we don't get into a flooding situation anywhere. Thank you for forwarding the link to Melanie, I thought I had copied her, but I think I forgot in my Friday madness :(

    ReplyDelete